Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Late better than never

I haven't posted in this Asylum for years, primarily since my (re)discovery of vinyl (I have a zillion SACDs and still play them - it is not my style to abandon any format and sell off my collection of those - which means that I operate a turntable, two SACD players, two RTR tape recorders, and a cassette deck), but I am prompted to by this topic, which is about the Szell recordings of Beethoven symphonies. This was an EPIC production (Epic was, of course, another Columbia label, and Szell recorded for Epic, while Walter and Bernstein were on Columbia) - I have a set of the original Epic LPs (as I do of the Fleisher/Szell piano concertos).

I have listened to many, many individual recordings and complete sets of the Beethoven symphonies over the years, and the Szell would be my desert island choice if I had to pick one. I can see where those who prefer a more subjective approach might choose others, but IMO the scores come alive when you listen to Szell and the Clevelanders perform these works. I hear Beethoven's voice when I listen, not someone else's. If I were to purchase one set SACDs of the Beethoven symphonies, I would go for these. (I own a ton of SACDs of Beethoven symphonies on SACD).

And yes, the Fleisher/Szell set of concertos would be my desert island choice for these works as well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Late better than never - TGR 08:58:54 09/06/16 (1)
    • Go for it! - Doktor Brahms 12:21:26 09/06/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.