Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I just bought my set yesterday

I agree - I had some (but not all) of these recordings back in my LP days, but I haven't heard any of the intervening incarnations. I will say that, if I can rely on my ancient memory (!), these recordings have never sounded better than on this 24/96 blu-ray, and it's so refreshing to hear a DG recording without all the engineering manipulations and absurd multi-miking that company began to experiment with in the following decade (e.g., in the Kleiber/VPO Beethoven 5th and 7th).

This set has always been an icon - and with good reason. We hear the intensity and thrust of the Toscanini approach, but with a far more refined sound quality. Moreover, the tone quality of the BPO at this time was so wonderfully individual - especially in the winds. This tonal individuality was gradually lost during the Abbado era, during which the orchestra's tone quality became more bland and "international" sounding. (At least IMHO.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I just bought my set yesterday - Chris from Lafayette 21:23:31 07/29/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.