Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Channel Classics getting out of SACD mostly

An OEM SACD mechanism is a mechanism dedicated to the replay of CD and SACD optical discs which is supplied by an Original Equipment Manufacturer to a manufacturer of finished players. It consists the mechanical drive,optics and some digital electronics, the latter normally concerned with control of the mechanism, reading TOC and decoding SACD. The DSD information contained on an SACD is encrypted which requires decoding.

One of the OEM SACD mechanism suppliers (in fact the last that remained in the market AFAIK) Teac/Esoteric no longer supplies other manufacturers. It now restricts its mechanisms to its own products.

The Sony decoding chip was not licensed to Mytek. Mytek does not make a chip that performs the same task. Mytek do make a chip that will decode SACD but not for SACD mechanisms, only for DVD drives. The latter fits in well with your final paragraph which I suspect it likely to be more or less correct.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.