Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Plangent system - Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 Detroit/Paray/Dupre

This is really about tape, but most of us will experience it via hi-rez digital, so here it is.

Plangent, for those unfamiliar with it, is a somewhat recent system for tape playback that uses the original bias waveform, played back via special heads, to "reclock" the signal. With this, any speed anomalies during playback *or* record(!) can in theory be corrected. This includes wow, flutter, head-scrape, or any tape stretching.

I just downloaded the Mercury Saint-Saƫns Symphony No. 3 with Detroit/Paray/Dupre from prostudiomasters.com. It is a remix/remastering by Thomas Fine of the original SR-90012 done by his parents. I also have the 1991 remastering his mother did for the CD issue. I do not have the original LP.

My system is somewhat modest: sources are either an Oppo BDP-95, or files played with Vox software on a Macbook Pro using a Metric Halo ULN-2 DAC. Either source plays through a modded VTL Deluxe preamp, Manley 120 monoblocks, Spica TC-50s (modded) and an ACI Titan II LE sub. I'm modding my Bottlehead headphone amp. When that's done I'll give it another listen through the HD800s, which are so much more revealing than the Spicas.

Compared to the CD, the new mastering has less grit and more detail, especially low-level detail. Dynamics bloom more naturally. Upper mids and highs seem very slightly hotter than the original, which is a good thing, now that there is less grit to contend with. There are some mix changes, though I can't pinpoint just what the difference is; the orchestra doesn't "sit" the same when A/B-ing, though the overall balance is about same.

The advantages of Plangent on this recording seem pretty substantial, even on the lowly Spicas. I'd love to hear impressions from other inmates who have listened to Plangent-processed recordings.

Cheers,
WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Plangent system - Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 Detroit/Paray/Dupre - Bill Way 14:45:43 04/03/16 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.