Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Do affordable multichannel preamps exist any more?

You are probable limited to considering an AV receiver with your budget. AV receivers make sense for most people that want multichannel audio or home theater. For those who prefer to use separate amps and preamps, then a multiple amps and preamps works well. After all what is a multichannel receiver except for putting several amps and preamps into one box and adding a lot of convenience, bells and whistles. If this seems too complicated or expensive this is the main reason why AV receivers are so appealing.

The vast majority of audiophiles want to have the best two channel audio system they can afford, so do that. If you want multichannel audio then add an AV receiver for the center and rear channels. If that is too much of a compromise add a separate preamp and amp for the center channel, then decide if you want to do the same for the rear channels.

If you want an elegant pure solution I believe Guy Hammel at Placette Audio can build you a multichannel passive preamp for around $7K or an active multichannel active preamp for much more. Since this is way outside of your budget, either stick with an AV receiver or add an AV receiver to your stereo system to control your center and rear speakers. I suggest getting the best Marantz AVR you can afford.

Edits: 04/03/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.