Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Both record labels, and the recording processes have

changed. Good to be tolerant, but it also causes a lot of confusion.

On commercial products, once purchased, the recording has been through 4 or 5 generations of re-dos. Very few HiRez re-dos from the original studio involve the final mix 1/4" 2 track reel-to-reel tape.

Since the process of creating/building/mastering the DSD file involves violating the original intention of the artists on the project anyway, - the last thing that any "good" engineer SHOULD want to do is violate the second or third master that was already altered from the 1/4." The mastering process for cutting lacquers for vinyl, (setting up the EQ), is very very different than burning a glass CD master.

How many "interpretations" of the original final mixes are too many? And, how many times has another format been released based on an already terrible, vinyl copy? Like any other format, there is a ton of SHITE vinyl recordings out there....

It's cool that you're doing some remixing. I call, (and I think that many other engineers, etc), what you're doing Remixing. If you don't like the sax part in a particular piece, - just kill it. But of course, you're certainly violating the intention of the artists. I remember Roy Orbison's label creating a "greatest hits" CD that cranked up Roy Orbison's voice, and turned down the instrumentation. But, Orbison was there, overseeing the mix.

I find it a gross and flagrant insult that a record label would hire a "clean-up" artist like Steve Hoffman to intercept a recording from the artists/producer before it reaches the pressing plant; and do things like "warm-up" the recording, re-order songs, shorten the length of songs, cut out a song, turn up or turn down the volume of certain instruments, only to make the end product more commercially palatable.

Getting back to Yessongs. I just wish that Steve Wilson would've done the whole YES catalog into DVD-A/Blu-Ray. And, certainly one of the most popular Yes albums has to be Yessongs. Given that even the vinyl version was horrible, - you'd think that it'd be a fun challenge.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

Edits: 03/24/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.