Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I recently ordered three sets of late Haydn Symphonies...

based on the input obtained on this post plus reviews published in Gramaphon and in the Guardian. Two have arrived and have been auditioned. The third has been shipped (from Japan). Here is the breakout:

RECEIVED

1. Haydn Symphonies Nos. 82 - 87 (Paris Symphonies) recorded by Ansermet and the Orch. of Swiss Romande. They were originally recorded in 1962 and recently reissued by Decca. The performances are excellent and the sonics above average for a 50 year old, two channel stereo recording.

2. Haydn Symphonies Nos. 78 - 81 recorded recently on SACD by Ottavio Dantone and the Accademia Bizantina, also released by Decca. Like the Ansermet recordings, the performances are robust and sharp, and the sonics of this recent effort are first rate.

IN TRANSIT

3. Haydn Symphonies Nos. 87 - 72 recorded by Simon Rattle and the Berlin
Philharmonic Orch. and released as a limited edition. I had mixed emotions about this one, particularly given its $53 price tag, but a pair of positive reviews in the trade press broke the tie. An I must admit that I am a "completest", so this will round out my collection of hi-rez (first class PCM in one case) versions of Haydn's late Symphonies. As I indicated in my original post, I recently purchased the last of four discs recorded by Bruno Weil on Ars, completing his traversal of the London Symphonies (first rate) on SACD.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.