Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Still Having Issues with XLR connection on Oppo BD105

I'm wondering if it could be an earth problem.
XLR and earthing can be complex, I think.

Potentially, the balanced output could be configured in various ways.

One way is for both signal + (pin 2) and signal - (pin 3) to be fully floating; a 4V signal could be between say 14V and 10V. The absolute voltage of the 'system' would most likely be picked up from some kind of earth connection in the receiver (preamp).

Another way is for both signal + and signal - to be related to earth in the sender (cd player). My Blacknote is like this; the signal outputs are 'linked' to earth, and this earth is connected to pin 1. The signal outputs will then be close to earth; a 4V signal will be +2V (pin 2) and -2V (pin 3). (Though pin 2 is called + and pin 3 -, both go + and -; a -4V signal will be -2V on 2 and +2V on 3).

There may be cases where say pin 3 might be earthed; I have seen references to doing this for XLR to RCA cabling (be very careful! It could blow up the source output stage).

There is potential for things to go wrong; perhaps both units may try to impose their own earth; perhaps some part of the system ends up without an earth reference. All guesswork of course but read on.

As it works OK with one cable connected, you could try breaking the pin 1 earth connection on one cable, see what happens; or try breaking both; or try (most carefully) removing the mains earth connection of the CD player, with earth connections fully connected in the cables. If you do this, NEVER power it on without signal cables connected as you'll rely on earthing via the signal cables for safety.

Some cables may have pin 1 used only to earth the sceen and not connected to pin 1 at the other end; if this is the case, try one that is fully wired.

Good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Still Having Issues with XLR connection on Oppo BD105 - Mike C 16:00:24 02/23/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.