Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: OPPO as network player for hi rez?

Are you intending to use it as a standalone player into a conventional analogue preamp?
If so then the 105 is a better choice since the internal DAC and analogue outputs are a significant improvement over the 103. I wouldn't consider using the 103 in the same way.
However, if you are using an external DAC, the 103 is a better choice in terms of the cost savings whilst retaining the same functionality as the 105.

I have found the firmware to be very stable and have not had any issues at all with crashing.

I can recommend Asset UPnP - if you go for the paid version (nominal cost) you can get Internet Radio streaming. I no longer use my reference transport and the 103 is now my digital media hub.

I use a 103 as a transport and network streamer and feed the digital output into a NAD M51 using the HDMI output and the results are superb - the NAD M51 HDMI input doesn't suffer from the high levels of jitter you would normally get with AV receivers. I have compared the direct HDMI connection to the Oppo SPDIF output feeding a Grimm CC1 Reference Clock into the NAD M51 via AES. Whilst there is no doubt the reclocked data via AES was superior, the difference was very marginal.

There is an app for Android and iOS so you can use a mobile device as a remote control/media selection tool without needing to use a TV screen - I find this very handy.
Regards Anthony

"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty.." Keats

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: OPPO as network player for hi rez? - flood2 16:36:09 02/10/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.