Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

SACD through headphones?

Is it worth it? A great benefit of SACD is the realization of physical space around and within the sources of music. Even in stereo, this effect is quite pronounced on decent SACD's. Can this aspect be appreciated via headphones?

I have a nice old pair of Sennheiser 580's that I listen to only from a crappy computer output because there is currently no facility in my main system to accommodate cans. Would it be worthwhile to add a headphone output on the main stereo system? Build an outboard headphone amp? I am sure the higher resolution and smoother frequency response (at least in mids and highs--bass would mostly disappear!) would be audible, but what about the 3D? Headphone images are pretty flat.

I live alone now so I can listen through excellent speakers any time night or day, which makes that advantage of headphones totally unimportant. Is there any other reason to bring out the cans? Sometimes I still like their immediate, accurate sound.

Peace,
Tom E
berate is 8 and benign is 9

Edits: 02/04/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - SACD through headphones? - madisonears 20:39:08 02/03/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.