Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Still Having Issues with XLR connection on Oppo BD105

Hoping someone here can save me lugging this thing to Fedex in order to have it tested by Oppo. Oppo customer service has been responsive but nothing they've suggested has fixed the problem.

To recap, the XLR connection from the BD105 to my Rogue Pharoah is wonky. It sounds like just the surrounds in a multi-speaker set-up. The problem does not always manifest at start-up but eventually there is some kind of drop out.

I've done some further diagnostics since last post. First, it is not the cables - I tried a new pair and had the same problem. Second, I do not believe it is the settings. I've made sure it is set for two channel, two speakers, no sub, stereo downmix, no trim delay. I also am fairly certain it is not the settings because I do not have the problem with playing discs through the RCA connections. Third, it is not a sacd issue, as it happens with both sacds and redbook cds.

Lastly, and this may be key, I found that when I started playing around by switching the cables around (to make sure its not out of phase), the problem does not occur with only one XLR cable connected. Upon connecting the second cable, though, the bass and midrange drops out. Seems that the two are cancelling each other out somehow.

Any thoughts? Of course, the problem could lie with the Pharoah. Unfortunately I don't have another XLR source to test.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Still Having Issues with XLR connection on Oppo BD105 - zomax 05:48:23 11/21/15 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.