Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: 24 bit BUT 44.1 KHz(?) "Hi Res" from HDTracks. SQ compared to 16bit/44.1?

The difference between 6 extra khz of sampling is not as discernible as the remastering EQ that was done for the new issue. I also do believe in multiples of sampling rates as that has been proven to sound better. We also know that playback devices that ram buffer the data stream have often sounded much better when properly clocked, something no one knew in the beginning of the CD. There is just more going on than just worrying about the sample rate and bit depth.

That article from the late Roger Nichols about the initial pressing problems of 2 VS Nature for Steely Dan changed my whole perspective of the music process from start to delivery. There are too many hands in the soup. I am also sure they will be new things we will learn about downloads as we have about using dirty USB power for our computer DACs.

Everything matters, but just more outside sample rate and bit depth choices. In IMHO, which often isn't humble anymore with all the marketing hype that takes place. So now I buy my music from places like BlueCoast Records, Linn Music, and eClassical where I know the original tracking rates. I do love the 2496 and 24/192 downloads I've bought and even my own ears can hear the diff. After that it comes down to what am I willing to pay for.

I have not done DSD downloads as my AT&T download speed of 12-20 MBPS is not conducive to "fast" downloading, but that is MY problem and not the industry. I will get there as BlueCoast is doing their best with their high quality products and promotions to entice me. These markets are small, but I know here I am getting all there is to hear.

To other companies who do downloads I hear more "different" than really "better". It is all subjective anyway. You hearing may be excellent and your gear way better then mine and you can easily discern and like the changes you hear, which is all it is about anyway.
Jim Tavegia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.