Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: 24 bit BUT 44.1 KHz(?) "Hi Res" from HDTracks. SQ compared to 16bit/44.1?

But 20 bits is the real/practical limit that the human and the best gear can utilise.

I'm sure you know why gear uses 24 bits instead of 20, it doesn't mean the extra 4 are actually "heard" per se (they're not, usually and usefully). However, our listening systems are in many cases A/V computers, and the data is processed, and making it 24 bits in calculations helps prevent rounding errors. It has nothing to do with "hearing" the extra 4 bits. When the music data is stored on a computer, each 20 bits of data would take up 24 bits anyway, all the digital systems are set up for bytes, not bits, so might as well make it 24 bits to start with, plus it impresses the rubes (32 even more so).

Much current equipment processes multiples of 48kHz much better than it does 44.1kHz or multiples. Sad but true. Multiples of 48kHz is much more commonly used in production nowadays, I doubt too many are using 44.1kHz multiples for *master* production.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.