Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Can you explain

Sure, but before I do I would like to change my answer to a 24/48, or 16/48 master file, not a 16/44.

It's a textbook case because when the musical content stops at 24kHz, then it's empty black all the way to 48khz. The empty black means there is 0 high frequency content.

Now take another look at the Mp3 charts. They do pretty much the same thing. Look at the bottom one with the green spectrograph. The cut-off frequency is 9.4kHz. That's a sample rate of 18.8kHz. Everything to the right of the cut-off is empty green. It's kind of hard to say that a sample rate of 18 could be labeled as 96.

Now go back and look at the first graph that was labeled good. Notice how it has musical content all the way to 48kHz on the very far right. Notice also how the roll-off is very natural and gradual.

Keep in mind that all the graphs have the same scale. They all measure to 48kHz. It's just some of the files measure all the way to the right. Some measure to the middle, and some to the left on the scale.

On a different note, do you think I should keep posting these reviews? I'm pretty sure there are people out there who would want to read them. I have a feeling it would save somebody some money.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.