Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Trilogy"

So you don't trust the record companies? Thinking they might pull a fast one? Well do I have a hi-res release for you. I had to analyze all 19 songs to figure out what these guys were up to.

This album is sold in Deluxe Edition as a 24/96 download. It has the original mix album, a remastered version of the album, and a bonus track. 19 songs for $20.

Now for the bad news.

Of the original mix, 8 songs are upsampled 16/44, and one is a poor quality MP3, like 128kbps, and yes it's upsampled to 24/96.

The bonus track is listed as 24/48, and it is solid.

The remastered version has 7 songs that look to be very good quality hi-res files. I would put them at 24/88, but they qualify as 24/96. The above graph shows a quality hi-res file.

Of the two remaining songs. "Trilogy" is a straight 16/44 upsample, and they don't even try to hide it.

The song "Fugue" looks like a 320kbps MP3 upsampled to 24/96. No I'm not joking.

Fugue is just Keith Emerson's piano. It sounds so great on my big horns, and Razor and Tie record company says I can only have a MP3 version of it? Should that be good enough for me? I could type out a long answer, and state my opinion that they are a bunch of dirty rotten bastards, but I won't.

My one point is; they must have offered these two compromised songs for proprietary reasons. Are these two songs so great that people would copy them and use them in commercials, or in some other way siphon off their coke money? Has anyone heard Trilogy or Fugue played on the radio lately?

I guess if you figure that hi-res songs are $2.50 a piece, then it's not a rip off, sort of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

Edits: 09/21/15 09/21/15 09/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Trilogy" - Mr_Steady 18:26:00 09/21/15 (24)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.