Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: R.E.M. "Murmur"

Well I'm no expert on how to read these tests, as this is my second one. I ran the above test twice with two different settings. The one shown is using a setting recommended by Xivero to detect faked hi-res files.

My novice interpretation of this test result is that there is a distinct chance this is a 96kHz file upsampled to 192kHz, and what's worse, it appears that fake harmonics were added above 48kHz to give the appearance of a 192kHz file.

Other parameters show that this song, "Talk About the Passion," has no headroom. It is run at near clipping almost the entire time. Check out the history graph which is the one that looks like a radar screen. You can see the signal butts up against the red circle for almost the entire length of the song. The True Peak Level is 0.0! I think that means they used every available smidgeon of headroom. The Crest Factor is barely acceptable for a hi-res file.

Dynamic Range measures at 6.5db. Piss poor.

This album/file still sounds exceptionally good to me. The lack of DR is obvious upon listening. Maybe this just goes to show how bad they can screw up an album, and have it still sound good.

It's possible that you wouldn't miss anything if you bought the 24/96 version of this album.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: R.E.M. "Murmur" - Mr_Steady 17:51:18 09/20/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.