Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Tascam DA-3000 Should I own one?

My Tascam DR-680 mk 2 ($599) arrived on Friday and I am really impressed. Pretty intuitive right out of the box, but my experience with both of my Tascam DR-2ds and DR-07 mk1s has given me some ideal of Tascam's operational keys. It will operate as a 2 channel recorder at 24/192 and 6 channels at 24/96, redbook, or even some MP3 formats if you choose. I will stay 90% of the time at 24/96, but will do some 16/44.1 work as needed to save the computer file reduction work. It has 4 built-in mic pres as well and all the input levels can be controls inside the user interface.

I am using it as a 6 channel tracking recorder. The mics pres are more than serviceable and at least the equal of the ones in my Yamaha MG16XU. I will have to do some recording with my Mackie to see if they are the equal of the VLZ models, but the Mackie mic pres are very nice. A new Mackie 1604 VLZ might be a nice input device for this Tascam DR-680 if the mic pres are more important to you. I find that it is the combination of mics and mic pres that must be considered as a whole system as they each have their colorations even if they measure flat. You have to worry about what each brings and experiment with different mics and find the ones that work the best with the Tascam mic pres. Tascam has made some changes to this MK 2 mic pres to improve the sound as many are using it as a master recorder for film so the on-board better mic pres will be important for them. I am thinking of at least buy one True Solo or a Focusrite ISA One for a huge mic pre upgrade for solo vocalists like myself.

I have made some recordings at both 24/192 and 24/96 and I can't tell an improvement with 24/192, (I know mathematically it is better, but that my hearing deficiencies hold me back, but many of you younger folks with great ears probably could and would like it as a needle-drop recorder for two channel work at 24/192. I will do some recording for clients with great hearing and let them tell me if they can hear the improvement of 24/192. If mixing down to redbook, 2496 is probably enough to start with.

I am now enjoying the opportunity to track with just the DR-680 and then feed the output into my Yamaha MG16XU and do a final mix into one of my DR-2ds at 24/96. This allows me to not worry at all about recording levels, other than keeping them below "0", as I can do the final balance in the Yamaha board and add effects as needed. This is a huge plus for me as I have often taken more time just to do the balancing in two track recordings, which often requires multiple takes. Now that is all out the window and can just track and then agonize over the sound in the mixdown.

Think of all the fun guys had over the years with the Teac 3340 4-track R2R recorders and now to be able to do that, with even better sound and 2 additional channels in a very portable device as no one would have thought of the Teac 3340 as "portable" without some help. lol

Highly recommended. My sales person at Sweetwater Sound, Ben Porter, has been a great help. He can help you as well.

Who could have thought one could have this much fun for so little money.

Highly recommended.
Jim Tavegia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tascam DA-3000 Should I own one? - jamestavegia@gmail.com 02:41:09 09/20/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.