Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: "I'm not sure what the situation is with BIS"

A large dynamic range has always been a characteristic of live classical music. BIS has always recorded in such a way that the listener gets the dynamic range produced by the musicians. This is true of early BIS recordings as well as later ones, and has little to do with formats. I have never heard a BIS recording or any other recording of classical music that had too much dynamic range. There is something wrong. I suggest tracking it down.

If the dynamic range is too much for you, then there are several possibilities. First, your room may be too noisy to hear the quiet passages and you are forced to crank up the volume to unnaturally loud levels. Second, your system may lack the ability to reproduce undistorted peaks cleanly. Third, your ears may not support listening to classical music as it was intended to be heard. Go to a live classical concert and sit in row 10 or row 20 and if it is unpleasantly loud, that could be the problem (depending on the concert hall).

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.