Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

"I'm not sure what the situation is with BIS"

With regard to BIS recording/releasing 24/96 recordings rather than 24/192, Robert has made statements over on SA-CD.net that he believes that people can't easily hear even the difference between 24/44.1 and 24/96, and he once challenged listeners there to guess which of the Osmo Vanska / Minnesota Orchestra performances of the Beethoven Symphonies were in 24/96 and which were in 24/44.1. (This set was recorded during BIS's transition from 24/44.1 to 24/96.) Of the many "audiophiles" who guessed, only 1 or 2 got it right. So I think he's content with 24/96 from a philosophical point of view, rather than a "cost" or "quality" point of view, and I don't see BIS ever moving to 24/192 or higher.

Speaking personally, I don't think he's off the mark, even though I have some wonderful 24/192 recordings and downloads in my collection (2L, Sono Luminus, and the Chandos Toronto Scheherazade). Another problem for me with BIS is that eClassical is not yet offering hi-rez multi-channel downloads, so I'm a little less conversant with their recent recordings over the last couple of years. (For the most part, I'm not buying the SACD's if the masters are PCM, especially if the hi-rez PCM downloads are available.) The last word I heard from Robert is that eClassical is now doing beta testing of hi-rez multi-channel downloads - they've been promising this for years, but they're apparently now very close.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.