Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Piano Man SACD

The real issues for all of us in this huge reissue market is what shape are the masters in ? If not so good, then the reissue may not sound so great in any format.

Today I would think there is no reason for the masters not to be kept at 24/192 and if I was the artist I would want to be the one controlling them with a back-up of the back-up.

To me this would sound as good as any 30 ips master and at least would not be degraded over time and would stand the chance of even sounding better as DA converters improve, but if you owned the best of the best today, what? DCS, you would really have something to work with in any format.

To me any label or artist that is waiting around to archive their old masters is making a huge mistake. Even someone just making a straight transfer into a DAW at 2496 would be better than doing nothing.

Maybe this is going on, but I haven't heard of such. I generally will read all the reviews of a reissue before I buy, including new audiophile owners. My systems are not that great or revealing and my ears are 68, but I still know great sound when I hear it and sometimes new reissue mastering can only do so much. For these I separate the sonics from the performance. I do that as I do not want my critique of one affecting another. I may make my love of the music and performance cloud the sonic presentation, but if that works for someone else that is fine, but not for me. I want them both to be great. And at these prices they should be.

Jim Tavegia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Piano Man SACD - jamestavegia@gmail.com 05:18:38 07/16/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.