Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

We just had a similar question over on the Music Lane forum

I assume you're wanting stereo, rather than multi-channel? In any case here is one of the most wonderful two-channel classical recordings I've encountered during the last decade or so:

It's on the Acousence Classics label from Germany. The orchestra may be second- (or even third- ) tier, but I guarantee you will not care - and in any case, second-tier orchestras today are WAY better than they used to be. The guy who engineers these recordings tends to use seven microphones, so it's not quite "minimally microphoned", but it's still shocking how good it is. I was especially impressed by the Rodrigo "Concierto de Aranjuez" ("the fine Corinthian leather" - if you're old enough to remember that classic Ricardo Montalban commercial for the Chrysler Cordoba!), where the integration of the soloist with the rest of the orchestra is truly ourstanding (not overpowering, as in most concerto recordings, and yet crystal clear!). Another great track is the Marquez Danzon No. 2, one of the signature pieces of LA Phil conductor Gustavo Dudamel, whose own performance doesn't outclass this one in the least, while this one is SO much better recorded. A couple of months ago, when I checked which track of my 1600 albums now on iTunes I've listened to the most, this was the one! I can't say enough good things about this recording. It's available on the Presto Classical and eClassical sites - here's the eClassical link, where you can listen to the sample tracks if you're interested. The samples won't be hi-rez of course, but you might be able to get an idea. . .

(The only thing that bothers me is that the sampling rate of the 24-bit download is not explicitly stated, at least on the site I linked to. It used to be available as a 24/192 download, but the file at this link may be only 24/96. In any case, I downloaded the 24/96 file myself - from another site where it's no longer available - and my comments are based on that 24/96 download.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.