Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: It should be noted that at least one 2L pairing ...

There are a number like that from 2L. But, it is not really a perfect comparison because all 2Ls are recorded in DXD, then that is converted to the 96k or 192k PCM for the BD-As and converted to DSD for the SACD. DXD is, of course, just ultra hi rez PCM. But, this tells us nothing about the differences between a native DSD recording-disc manufacturing chain vs, a PCM equivalent.

A more perfect sonic comparison would be recorded and mastered in pure DSD vs. pure PCM, although downrezzed DXD to PCM should be nearly perfect. That DSD vs. PCM distinction, by the way, is not really important to me and certainly not worth all the acrimonious arguments over the years.

It is clear to me that the 2Ls sound slightly better consistently when played in hi rez PCM, which is closest to their native recorded format. The SACDs may suffer slightly from the format conversion.

Having established that from a number of available dual disc releases, I do not see the point in a continuous stream of new releases that do the same. All it does is drive up the manufacturing and distribution costs for everyone, many of whom have already made the comparison and, like me, are no longer interested in doing more of them.

In any case, all 2Ls are fine recordings and worthy of purchase and playback in either format.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: It should be noted that at least one 2L pairing ... - Fitzcaraldo215 09:59:29 07/02/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.