Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Death of SACD?

The wars over DSD/PCM sound quality have been way overblown for even longer than the last 5 years.

I do think SACD was a very clever and well implemented package containing RBCD plus hi rez in stereo and Mch. That gave it the broadest possible appeal and utility so that the format could get established. There is nothing else like it from that standpoint, though multi format BD had some multi-faceted adaptability. Except, you needed a BD player. For SACD, you could get by with just CD player, like in your car.

I think the SACD idea will survive for awhile until hi rez streaming/ downloads eventually take over. MQA, if it succeeds, might hasten that. Although, we might see a trickle of hi rez music on Ultra HD BD-As after that comes out later this year. That would still be PCM and it would require a new player, so I am not sure what it might offer that we cannot get from BD-A now. Even Auro 3-d Mch has started to appear on some 2L BD-As, some of which also have 192k stereo and Mch now.

Of course, some will be taken in by the need for ever higher sampling rates - 2x or 4x DSD, DXD, etc. I do not think they will get to be significant and support for them on physical discs likely will never materialize.

So, maybe SACD and BD-A will be the last round in hi rez physical discs. Next stop, downloads and streaming for the best in hi rez.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.