Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Thank you very much! Very interesting!

Like you, I'm speaking for myself here, and I just replaced my four-year-old Mac Mini with a current, tricked-out Mac Mini about a week ago. Neither of these Mac's made/make as much noise as the fan in my Marantz UD8004 does, and, regarding the various internal noises and interferences leaking out into the audio stream, I've yet to hear it, even if I try headphones (or putting my ear up next to the speakers!), with and without music playing.

Regarding the brands you mention, I try to keep in touch with what I can at the California Audio Show each year. Most of the time, I feel that there's a difference in the sound, but I'm not convinced that a given difference necessarily translates as an improvement in the sound. (The constrained environments of a show usually don't allow for optimum presentation of the SQ in any case.) I'd probably have to live with a component for awhile before coming to any conclusion. (You mention Meridian, and, as a multi-channel kind of guy, I've consistently been impressed by the Meridian exhibits I've heard though.) I also feel that, because of economies of scale, one can potentially get better SQ at a given price point with one of the larger manufacturers you mention (Sony, Marantz, etc.) than with a smaller, more esoteric manufacturer. I suppose you could argue that perhaps the smaller companies don't have the overhead of the larger ones though. As JM likes to say. . . FWIW and YMMV.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Thank you very much! Very interesting! - Chris from Lafayette 20:05:18 06/18/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.