Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Yes, I had only used the balanced out

- A big bulk of our listening involved around comparisons between dsd files of different ways of ripping sacd disc via a PS3 - yes, that's right, different ways of process/preparation while ripping did affect sonic results very audibly.

So, my advise is - stick to dsd downloads to feed your Z1ES.

A few things we found out:

- Playing the same dsd file track loaded on the Z1ES twice in a row will audibly degrade sound quality. Where the first time play was smooth and musical, if you skip back to start playing the same track from the beginning again, it will acquire a nervy fatiguing artifact. To get around this problem, you just need to select a different track to play first (any duration of play will do), then go back and re select that desired track again. This will avoid the sound degradation I mentioned. The jog dial and menu screen helps facilitate this. Shutting down and restart the unit prior to playing each track sounds best, of course.

- Switching off dsd up sampling function (and PCM to dsd) improves sound quality for the player while playing dsd files.

- If you are going to use balanced connections, make sure the XLR terminals to be connected at the player, the hot and cold pins are swapped. This is the best way to ensure correct absolute polarity downstream while avoiding the pitfalls of cabling and component signal flow directionality getting reversed.

Reverting to single ended RCA connection won't get you correct absolute polarity because the problem occurs in the digital domain within the player.

Without correcting for the Z1ES's inversion of absolute polarity, the sound was pleasant enough, polite, almost too polite, and uninvolving....

Edits: 05/13/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.