Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Pricing and Costs of SACD and DSD / High Res downloads

I don't worry about the price of downloads per se, as much as what it is I am buying. When music was and is cheap you can buy something on a whim, enjoy it and put it away. I look at my CD collection and look at all the discs that don't get played very often any more. THAT does bother me.

Now my download choices are BlueCoast, Linn, eclassical, and my buys from SoundKeeper Recordings. I now preview more and consider is the music good enough and performed well enough for me to want to listen to it repeatedly? It is not any more about is the recording good enough to make me really enjoy my time listening? From these folks the recording quality is the highest there is, period. I don't worry that something was copied up to 2496 or more for marketing purposes. That boxed was checked long ago.

Some recordings do not tax my systems as my gear is often better than the the recording and/or the material, but with the companies mentioned above, I know my gear is the weakest link, but still makes those performances as live and real as they can be within my gear budget. I am amazed on a daily basis at what I hear from these recordings through my lowly Steinberg $150 UR-22 24/192 usb interface and my AKG 701's. I just consider all that music I have bought to be an incredible value and look to buy more as my budget permits. And today with this Steinberg unit one does not have to spend crazy money to enjoy it...it is not just a rich man's game anymore. You could be sitting on a park bench with a laptop and this UR-22 and have the best there is. Who could not want that?

I still buy some vinyl from time to time, but from now on downloads will get more of my music money. Seems like a better value to me. And if they are 2496 I can burn them to DVD-Rs myself and enjoy them on all my DVD players, and not just my computer.
Jim Tavegia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.