Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Pricing and Costs of SACD and DSD / High Res downloads

Thanks for the explanation re: HD Tracks.

I was an early adopter of SACD and to a lesser extent DVD-A. I was also an early consumer of hi-res downloads and so far I've spent a couple grand on downloads. Like I said, I am happy to pay more for a better product. A lot of that money has gone to HD Tracks. I'll admit that my waning support is mostly due to the experiences I've had with them.

Aside from the sales tactics, my biggest gripe is wildly varying quality. There have been upsampled 44.1k recordings, hi-res remasters of classic recordings which have been compressed like modern pop recordings, and other related ills. I started to feel like I was playing the lottery, hoping for that elusive gem. I've had more success finding quality by seeking out old (non-remastered) CD pressings and certain imports than hi-res downloads.

I won't buy anything from HD Tracks anymore unless someone else has already dissected the release and I can find an FFT and DR stats and some listening comparisons to other releases. No more of this buyer beware we just post whatever the label gives us and don't forget your 20% discount pass is going to expire if you don't buy today. And I just don't have the time & patience to do that research except for titles that are practically a must-buy for me.

One thing that would help sell me on the product is providing the provenance of the release. This is where you have an advantage. I have a few of your CDs (but no downloads) and I know a bit about how you produce music, so I have more confidence. With HD Tracks, they get their content from the labels and don't seem to ask any questions; it's quantity over quality.

I realize that people like you and Jared are trying to maintain high standards in an industry where it seems like production quality has been on an extended downturn and consumers don't want to pay for music anymore. It can't be easy. But $40-50 is a lot to ask, and I will only pay that much if it's great music and demo quality sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.