Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Pricing and Costs of SACD and DSD / High Res downloads

To answer the question about the pricing of our downloads...

If you are on our weekly mailing list or visit us frequently, you'll see that all new releases have an 8 week intro price with a substantial discount period-as much as 50%. We have been offering a 20% rebate for anyone willing to forward a paypal receipt for more than 3 months. Some people choose not to use this rebate. Twice a year we offer a "Buy One Get One Free".

We also offer at least 3 free new music downloads each month from the catalog. There is also a half price store. You can find these at http://bluecoastmusic.com These rebates and discounts are not to hard to find if you look.

We find that those that complain about the pricing are those that don't want to buy our music. How do we know? We've offered BOGOFs on many forums where this same discussion comes up (here in fact last year) and not one person asked for the free download. That's fine. No problem. If you don't like the music, I understand. But find another excuse than pricing. If you have a hardship, please write to us.. we will work with you if you enjoy our music.

I can't speak for everyone, but I find these sales tactics to be a real turn-off and it's one of the main reasons why I've mostly stopped buying from HD Tracks and haven't purchased anything from you yet. I'm not buying a car, just some music, and I don't have much patience for this stuff.

I don't want to be on anyone's mailing list. I don't want to get promotional emails every other day to advise me of what titles are discounted that week. I don't want to be offered discount "passes" to try to get me to buy something right now. And I don't want to have to scour sites for deals, or have to click through a bunch of "special offers" to get at the catalog. All of these sales tactics are annoying and a big turn-off and all they accomplish is making me second guess a purchasing decision because there might be a better deal tomorrow.

While high resolution downloads have a lower barrier to getting projects to consumer, the costs are more over time. Every website created for sales has ongoing maintenance to support every new computer operating system, cloud storage fees, viruses and security issues. Customer service is labor intensive and we pride ourselves in ours.

It makes no practical sense for a small business like yours to be developing and maintaining your own e-commerce site. And I think you would reach a wider audience if your records were available on a bigger audiophile site like HD Tracks, or a more mainstream site like Amazon.

Gone are the days of millions of focused consumers buying popular products. Coming are the days of higher prices for specialized niche products. Products of higher quality (however you define that) add value to the consumer willing to pay the price for their passion.

A company or artform survives where enough consumers are willing to pay "X" to keep an entity in business. Whether wine, beer, cars, sports, tv or music there will be a disparity between the lower and higher priced products.

I am happy to pay more for a high quality product. But I'm not willing to pay more just for a higher resolution delivery format. That is just one small factor in the recording quality. One of the other reasons why I've nearly stopped buying hi-res downloads is that the quality is all over the place.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.