Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: You are confused !

I don't know of any DSD sites that let artists upload their music for streaming. If you know of any, take a look at them and let us know.

Streaming royalties at sites like Spotify and Pandora run between $0.006 and $0.0084 per stream. This week, an appeals court upheld a lower court's decision against ASCAP, which had sued Pandora for higher reimbursement rates. There is a pretty good breakdown of the royalty payments at the link.

My big concern, with apologies to the OP for hijacking the original thread, is that the current streaming royalty system isn't sustainable. Songwriters and performers cannot make a living from their recordings. Instead, they have to make recordings and get them on to the streaming sites as a way to market live concerts. (It used to be the opposite: performers used to do concerts to promote recordings.) Given that gigs at local clubs can't pay much of anything, artists have to become big enough to do arenas before they can make money from their work.

A corollary to this is the often heard belief that "music should be free." A significant chunk of the music-listening population are used to either free music, or music so cheap as to be virtually free. It's a nice thought, until you take the artists into account. This has to change, and there are signs of progress. David Byrne joining the board of SoundExchange, which administers Pandora's royalties, is a step in the right direction.

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You are confused ! - Bill Way 09:42:42 05/11/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.