Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Ripping SACDs worth it?

A few points I'd like to make:
1) DSD64 has the potential for 150db from 20hz to below the 20khz, as long as the DAC effectively filters the noise shaped data above 50khz or so (DSD128 and DSD256 doubles and quadruples that distance between music and noise in the ether).
2) No existing PS3 will rip SACDs, only out of production CECHA, CECHB, CECHC and CECHE units. Furthermore, those units cannot have had their firmware updated beyond 3.55 or an adtl $100 needs to be spent to hardware mod them down again.
3) SACD rips come from what is called the DSD cutting master. It is normally a losslessly compressed (DST) dff file that then goes through SACD authoring; it came from the original dff file (called the edit master). In theory if you can get the edit master before this SACD authoring then you have a slightly cleaner dff file and a better sounding download. So...it all depends on the label. Most labels provide us (NativeDSD) the edit masters but I can't speak for other sites....our Channel Classics, for example, are all edit masters.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.