Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Ripping SACDs worth it?

Hi Everybody,

I will try to be concise. After years of false starts I finally made the jump into hi-rez. I got a Sony Hap-Z1, and started ripping CDs into flac, and buying DSD downloads. I really like the way DSD sounds. Very close to modern vinyl if you ask me. The one thing I don't like about it is the limited dynamic range of the downloads. My background is vinyl, SETs, all horn speakers, so I've been spoiled with dynamic range, and I have the system to exploit it if the record companies would give it to us. Some of the CDs I have ripped have good DR and it comes across. The DR database is an invaluable tool. BTW, the RB CDs converted to DSD by the Hap sound very good too.

I've been considering ripping SACDs into DSD via PS3. Yes I know the first and correct answer would be, "Try it, and decide for yourself." Still I know people on this forum have gone down this road before, and I would like to hear about their experience before I buy a PS3 and expensive Japanese import SACDs. What got me hinkey was an article where Cookie Marenco said that ripped SACDs don't sound as good as DSD downloads, but this could all be a matter of degree.

Your thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

Edits: 05/04/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Ripping SACDs worth it? - Mr_Steady 14:30:38 04/29/15 (18)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.