Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Sony SCD-XA9000ES problem reading discs

Hi,

I know this player has a long history of disc reading problems, and I'm hoping to get some input on a possible solution.

Recently I was playing a hybrid SACD and the unit began skipping and then ceased playing all discs, including CD. I had the laser replaced the other day at a local repair shop. The unit now plays CDs, but does not play any type of SACD, mostly.

If I just put a disc in and press play, this is what happens:

CD - plays fine.
SL SACD/hybrid - no disc.

If I put a disc in, turn the unit off and back on, this is what happens:

SL SACD will play, but constantly skips and stalls.
Hybrid will read and play only as CD.

I obtained a copy of the service manual and tried the disc check procedure, which allows me to enter a CD or a SL SACD (not a hybrid). According to disc check, when I used the CD, there was an error (Even though it plays fine.) One of my SL SACDs wouldn't do anything with disc check. Another SL SACD passed disc check, but then had the same problem, either wouldn't read or skipped, as mentioned above.

In all cases, if I use the disc detect function in diagnostics, the unit will identify the disc, ie., CD, hybrid, SL SACD.

Any thoughts on how to fix this using the service manual? I did not find anything that specifically mentioned laser alignment, which I've seen discussed in a few other threads. I don't think the tech knows what's going on.

Thanks,

Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Sony SCD-XA9000ES problem reading discs - mbrooke 09:18:01 04/18/15 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.