Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Oppo 105D as DAC

I tried an ext. HDD for one night and did not notice any differnce for that short maybe 30 minute period.

I had great difficulty trying to get my SSD drive to work. The external case was for USB 3.0 and that did not work.

Using an ext. case for USB 2.0 does work just fine. As does a USB disk migraiton cable.

A USB 3.0 case might work with a Y-adapter USB cable plugged into 2 ports so it can get extra juice but I've not tried that yet.

BTW, I fried my SSD last week when plugged it into the back USB port of my OPPO.

If I ever attempt to touch anything to do with my components I always ground myself first by touching my all steel rack and there's usually a little electrostatic discharge when I do. This time, I happened to forget to touch the rack and when I plugged in the USB cable, I saw a nice little blue spark between the chassis and the USB plug. SSD is toast.

Thankfully, the OPPO is fine. For now I'm back to my 128GB USB stick but I had only backed up half of the music that I lost.

Always ground yourself and always backup your music somewhere. This was the first time I've ever damaged something via ESD.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.