Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Agree 100%......

......with everything stated by madisonears. Same experiences and reactions, same conclusions over time.

Back in the 60's and 70's when I was an analog guy like everyone else, I absolutely HATED the 'clicks and pops' of records, especially during quiet sections in classical piano, etc. It really could yank you out of 'the zone' audio-wise, with those small firecrackers going off on a particularly noisy album.

I was always returning my DGG/London/Philips/Archiv purchases for this reason, which was a real PITA then, as the record shop employees would always say, "Nobody else brings these back complaining about surface noise.... ", and then they'd fight me about replacing the disc with a new (hopefully cleaner) pressing. I was basically bounced around from Licorice Pizza to Music Plus to Wherehouse and (finally!) to Tower Records Classical Annex on Sunset Blvd. where they 'understood' a bit better and gave me reasonable return privileges in exchange for my business which involved many thousands of dollars in purchases over the years and great customer loyalty. Tower personnel were awesome to work with. I loved making the pilgrimage twice a year when I would stock up and buy dozens and dozens of titles.

When digital came out, I never looked back after I sold my modified Sota Sapphire in 1985. 30 years later, no regrets.

But if vinyl still floats your boat, hey, knock yourself out, of course. For me, though, the answer was digital (AND a lot of hard work making digital sound superb, which in the beginning of the format was much more difficult than now.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Agree 100%...... - Winston Smith 08:17:35 03/02/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.