Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

There are way too many variables to measure

You're acting like a study could answer these questions, but study design would never allow proper testing of all the variables. For example, on multitrack recordings, each track (instrument or vocal) has a certain polarity associated with it that may be different than the polarity associated with another track (instrument or vocal) or all the other tracks. You may be testing variables such as attention to detail in recording/mixing/producing rather than simply real instruments vs recorded instrument media.

Regarding the theoretical issues of SACD vs LP, I think most LPs provide up to 20 kHz upper frequency while SACD can provide higher frequencies. Many musical instruments, e.g., trumpet has overtones measured at greater than 20 kHz too. The noise-shaping of DSD pushes a lot of the garbage above this threshold so who knows how "realistic" it is, but the mere presence of it may trick the ear into thinking it's hearing a real instrument since the range is ultrasonic regardless.

See the work of James Boyk.

Edits: 03/01/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.