Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Fair enough.

I have 40 something discs. Most are at least good, a few have been downright bad, and a few are just stunning. I'll mention the stand-outs good or bad:

Deep Purple's 'Machine Head'- This is what SACD means..clarity, dynamics, and subtle multi-channel effects that enhance just enough.

'Kind of Blue'- This disc alone started a friend to get serious about listening to music. He's a big fan of Miles Davis and was very familiar with most of his recordings, but watching him hear this for the first time was very enjoyable to me.

'Dark Side of the Moon'- Probably the best example of what multi-channel SACD can be. It's the perfect material for this and it was executed flawlessly

Aerosmith's 'Toys in the Attic'- This is multi-channel done poorly. Way too aggressive mix made it a distraction rather than an enhancement. The guitar tone was great but too forward.

Alice in Chains 'Greatest Hits'- This is so bad I had to check my connections and equipment. I seriously thought something was wrong or at least out of phase. It's actually unlistenable.

The Doors 'L.A. Woman'- Not terrible, but the only thing it did better than CD was clarity. Tone was noticeably higher with an emphasis on the upper frequencies. I prefer the CD.

Elton John 'Tumbleweed Connection'- Again nothing wrong, but it comes off flat and not a significant improvement over the CD.

Elton John 'Madman Across The Water' A fantastic sound with great subtly in the rear channels. This makes 'Tumbleweed Connection' even more disappointing.

I can't speak about the plethora of classical/orchestral discs available because I only own a couple. It's not that I don't like or appreciate that type of music, it's that I don't know where to start and I'm not willing to spend $30-$50 on something that I might not care for or even worse have substandard sonics.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.