Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Will they every pull the plug on cd's?

Yes they will. It is certainly under discussion and (UK) record industry friends say that some time during the next 36 months is being considered.

However it is not likely that it will happen at a stroke across all music genres and markets

A tipping point needs to be reached. As you will see if you visit the attached URL, in the UK digital sales now constitute 50% of revenues. That is across the industry and I would most certainly be correct in guessing that for some formats ( e.g. pop singles) the digital revenues are an even higher percentage. Those formats/ genres will be the first to give up physical formats. Remember it is not in the record industry's commercial interest to continue to pay for the production and distribution of physical copies if there is an alternative.

It is already the case that many recordings in the classical market are already digital only items ( some small labels and quite a lot of back catalogue from the majors).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.