Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

System idiosyncracies in stereo playback...

My Esoteric DV-50 - I suspect like many players that output DSD - doesn't take well to any DSP. Well certainly not the Analog-DSP mode in my Anthem AVM20 anyway. This is no problem with 5.1 multichannel sources as I implement bass management on the front L,R speakers in analog with an Outlaw Audio ICBM (using a separate copy of the signal from the Esoteric's lower quality RCA output). All well and good for multichannel.

The situation is more complicated for stereo. With good closely-miked recordings like Patricia Barber's Companion, the XLR output from the Esoteric gives by far the best presentation. Of course this makes the subwoofer inaccessible. Other SACDs like Bob Dylan's Freewheelin' sound better played with the 5.1 connections, which moves the soundstage back and activates the subwoofer through the ICBM. But it is worse than that - even Patricia Barber's Café Blue sounds better this way. But I'm pretty sure it's the same engineer.

CDs follow much the same pattern. The Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions is far better via XLR, but Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball is incoherent through the XLRs - and sounds great using the 5.1 connection and analog bass management.

Oh well. Ten years ago I was expecting progress with DSP playback to iron some of this out. But it seems that the industry had other plans.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - System idiosyncracies in stereo playback... - Jim Pearce 09:41:37 12/09/14 (53)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.