Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Disclaimer from Sony S1/Z1

I have a LOT of experience with SONY.
Some good
Some not so good
Some AWFUL.

GOOD: The first TRINITRON TV I bought w/my brother as a gift for my parents lasted until you could no longer get mechanical tuner parts. It was a stand mount 19" set, so that should give you some idea.
My ICF2010 all band SW receiver? Worth more today then when I bought it. It's THAT good. During the electrically quiet power failure a year or so ago, I EASILY got 2kw stations from South AMerica and higher power stuff from Asia and Europe. Simply unbeatable feature set included selecible sideband and synchronous detector that WORKS.

BAD: My VAIO laptop is only OK. It is an old AMD CPU and pre-USB2, so you know about how old it is. I still use the SERIAL port with my GPS and run it thru Microsoft Streets and Trips. I even like my ancient Walkman cassette better!

AWFUL: The REAR PROJECTION TVS in both the LCD technology and the SXRD technology. Sony, a MULTIPLE patent holder in light engine design decided to go with PLASTIC filters in the light engine instead of the more $$ heat proof glass. As a result, the light engine might have lasted 10,000 hours between rebuilds. This is just over 1 lamp lifetime. Sony dodged several legal bullets AND lost a couple class action suits. If the current line of SXRD projectors STILL use plastic, they are simply NOT worth the money.

I wish SONY would quit trying to invent the proprietary world. Everything they try to do must have some weird Sony 'twist' to it.
And while my NEX camera is a wonderful picturetaker, they've abandonded the line and now I'll NEVER be able to buy the glass this camera deserves. Let alone a decent Macro lens.

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.