Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Does Marantz UD 5007's HDMI output SACD signal into DAC

David - I have two Oppo 103Ds. One in the main system (basically just for video) and one in a secondary system where I have a hard drive attached to it with FLAC files of regular CD quality, some hi-rez PCM, 2-channel DSD files and multi-channel DSD files are well, although the primary use of that system is more for HT (I keep the room dark during the day and there is one window but there are blinds, poster board and room darkening drapes over it).

I'm mainly into file playback and have a music server and Meitner DAC and in another secondary system I have a Teac DSD DAC and I'm using Teac's HR Audio (free software) Player with it and have DSD and regular files to play.

I suspect Marantz won't answer you or give you a non-helpful answer (you can try asking John Gatski of Everything Audio Network in the link I sent). I also have an Oppo BDP-93 in the bedroom system and a modded BDP-83 in the system with the Teac DAC.

It depends on whether you want physical disc playback or are willing to convert to file playback to a large extent. Bryston is going to release a DAC, the BDA-3 ($3,195 USD) which will have an HMDI input for use with compatible players which will pass DSD. If you have a DAC you are happy with then probably the Oppo is better as you will get 24/88.2 via a de-embedder (and I have a couple laying around with upgraded power supplies as well as I used them in 2 systems in the past) and not be using the DACs in the player. I actually preferred the sound overall goint through my old Bryston BDA-1 DAC vs. the analog outs on my modded Oppo BDP-83 (the highs on the Oppo were a drop better but imaging and everything else was better going into the DAC). I also used the de-embedder for about a month when I first got my Meitner DAC while I digitized things.

So in summary if you are going to use a DAC and a de-embedder the warmer sound of the Marantz won't come into play as you will be bypassing the analog outs.

Phil

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.