Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: To quote TGT from his post above......

True, but TGT said it best in his post above......

"In my collection, the quality of the original recording and the mastering process explains more variation in sonic quality than CD verses SACD."

I would have to agree with him. And I would add that on high quality recordings, the difference between CD and SACD is not huge. I'm finding the same to be true with hi-res downloads. It has a lot more to do with the recording and mastering process vs the end format that we pop into our players or stream to our DACs. But I thought that was a universal truth.

I'm not saying that SACD doesn't sound better than CD but IMHO it wasn't a huge leap in performance.

What we experienced was remastered material that was made available on SACD also benefited the CD format. Given the same original source material I concluded that for myself, the new SACD format wasn't worth the small incremental improvement.

The other angle that most folks don't talk about are the SACD players that were optimized for SACD playback with the redbook section pretty much ignored. The manufacturers had nothing to gain by improving CD playback in a SACD player. So, it was often true that the SACD layer sounded significantly better than the CD layer played through the same SACD player.

But that's all water under the bridge for those of us who have moved on to computer audio and PCM/DSD DACs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: To quote TGT from his post above...... - AbeCollins 11:40:29 07/03/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.