Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Entitled to an opinion!

It doesn't matter what level BIS records at. If they record 3.5 dB lower than some other record label then you turn your volume control up 3.5 dB. It's completely irrelevant. You do that once, before you press "Play". And then if you are going to play the other record label you turn it back when the BIS recording is done. Actually, the requirement to adjust the volume this way applies to every recording. There will be one and only one correct level for playback for each recording to sound its best. The actual volume control setting will be radically different for solo harpsichord music and a Mahler symphony.

Some of the BIS recordings have a tendency to sound a bit thin if you don't make the loud parts very loud. They are recorded from a closer perspective than some other labels. If your system can't handle producing the needed volume then you will have to turn the loud parts down to an unnaturally low level. They may still sound OK to you, but they will not be correct. At this point, the quiet parts will then be way too quiet. If that is your problem then you need a system with the ability to put out more clean volume and/or more solid bass. I suggest you go to a symphony concert and listen to a Mahler symphony from row 5. This will calibrate your ears to the reality of good reproduction.

As I said before, the sound on BIS is very good, but it is not as good as that found on Channel Classics, which is excellent, indeed world class. BIS does have a huge catalog and low prices via eclassical.com so I have many of their recordings and am well familiar with their sound. It is not world class because Bissie is not a total and complete sonic fanatic, which is what one must be to produce world class recordings. However, Bissie gets the dynamics correct.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.