Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Marantz SA8005 (Personal Review)

While I was very pleased with my non-source components (Spendor/Magnum Dynalab/Transparent), it's the CD playback that has been the last piece of the puzzle missing to achieve the sound I wish (more acoustic than electric-has in stand-up bass compared to electric, detailed but not thin or tread bare and dynamic but not in my face, etc).

As a further example of my preferences, I can state that I have been going to concerts (large and small venues and numerous house concerts) for almost 50 years and Iprefer mid-size halls (400-700 seats) and I always try to avoid the front rows and prefer the mid-hall perspective (rows J to P, for example).

In recent times I've had LINN (Majik, I believe), Rega Saturn and OPPO105. And, although all had their strengths and I felt the Rega was the most natural, I sold it because the OPPO's CD playback was so close. However, I just don't find the OPPO's CD playback to my liking (a little hard and lean).

For years I have been reading CD player reviews and was always struck by the write-ups of Marantz products. They read like my listening preferences but, we all know that no serious audiophile would go with a more 'commercial' brand , would we?! I had wanted to listen to the Marantz Pearl but, before we got there, I was seduced by the Rega Saturn.

This time I was determined to give the Marantz products a listen, specifically their Super Audio players. With the recent release of their SA8005 and with a dealer a 2 hour drive away having both the previous model (SA8004) but not the next level up SA14, we went down one very rainy afternoon with the intention that, if we bought, it would be last year's discounted model. Thereby, I would not lose too much in re-sale if it really wasn't the answer.

Bottom-line was that both Marantz(s) lived up to the hype of their smooth sound but, found the newer SA8005 model was also nicely detailed and transparent and surprisingly very dynamic, wonderful balanced. Therefore, although I had taken losses on the sale of my previous CD players, I was so sure and at ease that I purchased the newer model (SA8005).

Back home and nite-after-nite, the system with the Marantz has source has given me the most wonderful playback, via both CDs and SACDs, I have ever had at home. Everything seemed to flow just right, very much like my previous LINN Sondek turntable. Voices and instruments have depth/body behind the sound and I was very surprise to hear how articulate it was (several songs in both French & English allowed me to understand what was said -when in the part I couldn't).

For what its Worth, I hope this helps others who may also have a 'mental-block' against major brand names, Bob.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Marantz SA8005 (Personal Review) - cabiner 06:08:01 06/28/14 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.