Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Entitled to an opinion!

As I said, there is no groundswell of agreement with you as your statement bears out. Repeated posting will not change that.

I am not saying BIS gets it right and everyone else is wrong or that others use compression.. I am saying that BIS' average recorded level is lower than most, that is all. In my experience, that means it needs to be turned up typically by about 3-3.5 dB vs., say, a Channel Classics, assuming similar program material like full orchestra. 3dB is not a lot. That may vary for chamber music or other genres. There is no standard in the music recording business by which to say one level is right and another is wrong.

We have had this discussion before. As Yogi said, it's like déjà vu all over again. We also discussed the need to turn the volume down, not up, on other labels, especially chamber music on the fine Praga Digitals label and others. I find my optimum volume control settings for Mch SACD varying from -8 to -22 on an arbitrary relative dB scale, which is meaningless in absolute terms. One learns over time to be able to get the level right before playing based on the label. If not, a few minor adjustments on the remote in the first minute or two while listening will get it right. I do absolutely no gain riding. My neighbors do not complain about excessive noise and I do not feel as though I am missing any low level detail.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.