Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

BIS dynamic range

I'm with Chris on this. I'm very happy BIS often gives us a little more dynamic range. It's closer to what I hear in a good hall, which can easily exceed 80 dB. Many assume the dynamic range in a concert hall isn't great, because it rarely gets what we consider "loud." Music in a hall can exceed what happens in homes is at the quiet end. As a good hall, with a good audience, has a very low ambient noise level, a tiny sound, like the gentlest tap on a triangle, can be exquisite.

Reproducing this at home is hard to do, as the ambient noise in most homes is pretty high, so reproducing pianissimo on a recording can be a problem unless you have a very quiet room, and a system that does the quiet stuff well. (Think Quad ESL57, the all-time champs at getting the quiet end right.)

I live in an apartment in a 100-year-old building, which is very quiet, but to get the ppp end of the range to survive, ventilation fans or a/c get turned off, as well as the refrigerator. And once the room is quiet, it helps to just relax for a few minutes, maybe sip a bit of good single malt, and let you ears and brain calm down.

With all the justifiable complaints for years about overly compressed "loud" recordings, I find the BIS approach refreshing.

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.