Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: REVIEW: Sony HAP-S1 Other

I can't answer your question because I'm not sure, and it's already packed up sitting on my porch for UPS to remove it from my property! ;-)

I believe all the content is pulled from Gracenote.

I know that my album art on the computer is mostly what iTunes grabs from Gracenote and places in it's database, plus about 5% of my own that I grabbed from Amazon and other sources.

iTunes would sometimes pull down the wrong art or couldn't find it at all. The Sony uses Gracenote too but at least with a PC/Mac you can easily fix metadata like track names and artwork.

When the Sony messes up the metadata you either can't fix it or have to jump through too many hoops - back and forth on the Sony and PC/Mac to fix it.

IMHO, as a music player 'appliance' it should work better OR be easier to manage and fix. Is it a Gracenote issue? Maybe. If so, Sony should be aware of the limitations and allow users better control to make changes and fixes.

As you can tell, my biggest complaint revolves around content management.

Similarly, you have to manually 'build' your playlist. Whatever playlists you might have had on the computer will need to be manually recreated track by track on the Sony.

I also saw no way to search on file type. For example, I have a few albums at three or more different resolutions but all the tracks, 16/44 ALAC, 24/96 AIFF, 24/192 AIFF, DSF, etc., get grouped under one album with one album cover on the Sony. As an example, when you open an album on the Sony to view the tracks, you'll get four of track one with the same song name, four of track 2 with the same song name, etc. each at a different resolution.

I have these separated on my Mac. For example, Miles Davis Kind of Blue 44/16, Miles Davis Kind of Blue 24/94, Miles Davis Kind of Blue 24/192, and so on. I have the highest res version in my High Resolution playlist.

This would take hours of manual labor to set up on the Sony as you manually search for the track and resolution you want then manually add to a playlist. I couldn't find a way to search by resolution or file type on the Sony.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: REVIEW: Sony HAP-S1 Other - AbeCollins 11:49:55 06/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.