Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Differences between balanced and unbalanced.

I tested the Sony with a test disc and indeed it gives one volt RMS per phase balanced and 2 volts RMS unbalanced. There is one volt per phase coming out of the I-V converters and then the summing op amp doubles it for unbalanced but the balanced buffers are used with no gain. The opamps used in the unbalanced summing amp are different from the ones on the balanced outs (OPA2132 versus NJM2114). The coupling caps used on the balanced outs and unbalanced outs are different as well (as well as no bypass caps on the output caps on the balanced outputs). It is no wonder the outputs would sound slightly different. A simpler and more pure sounding output stage could be done by just using the I-V converter opamp for each phase and then through a coupling cap and out. No summing or buffering or filtering. I have been doing this for years. Also changing the I-V converter opamp to a discrete one improves the sound even more. I will be doing this in my mods to be released in a couple of weeks. My standard output will be 2 Volts RMS per phase but I can make it any way anyone likes.

Yes, the unit does invert absolute polarity (measured via original Philips test disc). My mods will have the polarity correct for both the unbalanced and balanced outputs.

Edits: 04/25/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.