Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: barking mad

But, Ted, don't you also agree that SACD's ripped to a hard drive sound better than the shiny plastic version? Everyone I know who has heard the difference thinks so. Not by a lot, but by a noticeable amount in A -B comparisons.

The issue is the plastic medium, though it has served us well for many years, just is not quite as stable in real time playback - servo mechanisms, transmission issues, etc. The bits are all there, but the timing might be subtly messed up during playback. That's essentially Erdo's jitter thing.

I am quite confident that it can be conclusively proven that in a digital copy, regardless of the media involved, bits is bits - by the bit, by the word or by the sector. It is not the copy. The only issues are timing effects in real time playback for different media and, of course, in subjective perceptions, based on imagined notions of digital bits suffering "degradation" in successive copies, analog-style. They just don't.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.