Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: What do you recommend for Peak

The answer depends on the equipment being used and its particular characteristics. There is also a question of how the meters are being used that show levels, as these can be peak or can show various average levels. (There are many different forms of averaging meters.) If your equipment is decent, -6 or -12 peaks should be fine with 24 bits. (You can see this after the fact by looking at the data file with an editor.)

With a live recording, if you are going to err keep the levels on the low side. It takes some experience to figure out how to do this. Among other things, when the musicians are playing in front of an audience they will play a few dB louder than when they are rehearsing. (This is because of adrenaline as well as changed hall acoustics.)

I think it helps to have experience screwing things up both ways: too loud and too soft. :-(

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.