Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: "A 1 dB change in volume is the smallest difference that a human can detect!"

"Why would you say that?"

I don't know why, but it's clearly incorrect. 1 dB is well over the threshold of what I can hear. I just ran a test and when white noise takes a volume jump of +0.5 dB or -0.5 dB the transition is noticeable as an increase or decrease in volume. I would guess that most people can hear differences down to a threshold between 0.1 dB and 1.0 dB.

The article is incorrect in other respects. The dynamic range for 16 bit audio is not 96 dB if the audio is dithered properly. If this is done, then another 6 dB is lost, which reduces the range to 90 dB. Worse, if complex music is recorded without any limiting or compression, there will be a peak to average ratio of about 20 dB due to wave crests. If these are to be handled without clipping the 0 VU level needs to be set at -20 dBfs. This takes the dynamic range down to about 70 dB.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.